A situation where a man is unable to attain an erection or maintain it for as long as it takes to have sex with his partner is termed erectile dysfunction. Another word used to describe this condition is impotence. Any man suffering from impotence will be unable to ejaculate when having sex and may require male enhancement pills to help with his performance.
This is one condition that most men get to experience at some point in their life; however, according to scientists and their discoveries, a man is prone to experience erectile dysfunction as he ages. This is to say that this impotence is most common in older men.
Impotence in itself is not a problem, as long as it does not last for long. In a situation where it goes on for long, it causes some form of distress emotionally, not just for the man but for his partner.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Impotence has been linked with a lot of causes. For some men, the cause of their impotence has to do with an alteration in the supply of blood, usually by some physical problems. Another cause could be a psychological, which itself can be related to the physical aspect. When someone experiences psychological distress, this can have an effect on his erection abilities.
Health Problems that Causes Erectile Dysfunction
- Cardiovascular Disease: problems that are associated with the heart and blood vessels; such as arteriosclerosis, high blood pressure can greatly lead to an erectile dysfunction. Researchers have established that 15 percent of men with hypertension become impotent, completely.
- Medications: According to a report given by the national institute of Health, drugs have linked to a major cause of erectile dysfunction. Certain drugs that seem to be common and harmless, like tranquilizers, antihistamines, appetite depressant, anti depressant, blood pressure medication and the ulcer drug cimetidine, can lead to a case of impotence.
- Diabetes: When a case of diabetes has gotten out of hand and begins to do damage to the nerves and blood vessels (at this point it blocks pleasurable sensation and also the flow of blood), it can causes an erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction has been observed in 35 to 50 percent of men with diabetes, according to a report by the NIH.
- Psychological Factors: NIH also says that lying as the root of erectile dysfunction is psychological distress. It has account for 10 to 20 percent of cases of impotence. This is particularly true of men that usually have erections in the early hours of the morning or while asleep; this case is purely psychological. This could be caused by stress, guilt, fear, depression, low self esteem and performance anxiety.
- Prostate Surgery: most of the time, after a prostate cancer surgery, for most men, their sex lives never remain the same. In recent times, scientists have been working very hard to introduce techniques that will help eliminate such risk. This new technique should be able to spare the vessels and nerves that feed the penis.
- Smoking: One substance known to cause a great damage to the arteries is the cigarette; and as this happens, the likelihood of having erectile dysfunction increases.
- Lifestyle: drinking of alcohol in overly quantity can lead to a situation where you lack the ability to either get or keep an erection. If this continues, it gets to a point where your testosterone production is interfered with, and this completely hampers you desire or drive for sex.In our world today, erectile dysfunction has become a very common condition. Generally, this condition is related to health problems and also to physical inactivity. Apart from impotence being a condition of its own, it is also an indicator of underlying health issue like the risk of coronary heart disease. If the erectile dysfunction persists more than usual, it may be a good idea to talk to your doctor; this way the situation can be addressed.